-->

Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Today in the life of a Brawler

So, today was the Smashfest at Andre's, with an amazing three TVs in a tiny room. Quite a few people turned up, probably more than the last one but I didn't actually count. Probably the biggest event to start things off was the re-challenge between Marty and Travis for Marty's name, an amazing Marth ditto. As per the ruling of name challenges, all stages are legal, although bans are still done as usual. Starting off on WarioWare, Trav took an early lead and finished the game off easily without even needing the minigame invulnerability much. Marty counterpicked Big Blue, but failed to abuse the tracks while Trav took easy advantage of them and won 2-0, Marty complaining about the loss of his name again and the fact that he didn't think of counterpicking Green Hill Zone.

Next, I challenged Trav for the name, despite being horrible with Marth. I got two-stocked on Rumble Falls due to me being fairly bad at spacing and the stage needing it, then counterpicked the greatest stage of all after Trav banned 'Random': Port Town Aero Dive. I took an early lead, before slowly falling behind due to the stage's random momentum change as it goes up the vertical hill. I was reeling it back to a 5% difference on the last stock before Marty's phone rang, causing him to stand up, taking the Wii's cables with him and causing the game to crash as he pulled the entire Wii off the table onto the ground. After Andre reset the Wii up onto the table, Trill decided to move, tripping over Trav's controller and bringing the Wii down again as it was on the Brawl menu screen. After we moved the Wii to the ground so it couldn't fall, we redid the Aero Dive match, with it being fairly close until the last stock where Trav took a nice stock to seal the deal 2-0.

Then Trill, Destroyer of Wiis, challenged Trav for the name, with the rule that no tournament-legal stages were allowed. First game was 75m, with some very nice spacing and abuse of the point system to get a very large high score. The Flamey's and the springs failed to do much damage, though, with the ladders being the real star of the match to cancel Dolphin Slash for a nice recovery. Trill pulled off some nice combos to take that game, as Trav revealed his master counterpick: Temple. Via using his teching skills from Duelist, he managed to reach absurd percentages off the bottom of the stage, and claimed the game as Trill couldn't claim any easy kills. Trill's counterpick was Mushroomy Kingdom, at 1-1. This one went for a while, as the blocks kept blocking deaths, but after a long, hard-fought fight, Trav kept the name.

He wouldn't hold it for long, though. The next challenger was the mighty Corpsecreate, or 'Sam', the god of WA. First game was on Smashville, due to a bug in the random system not saving and leave us with neutrals as Random. Sam cleaned face easily, two-stocking Trav. Trav again pulled out Temple, and this one was alot closer. However, despite some nice teching at the bottom and aerial manuerving to get to the bottom, Sam won the game, and claimed the name 'Marty'. Being Sam, nobody wanted to challenge him for it, and Glenn, who was going to play Trav for it, backed out, leaving Sam as 'Marty' by the end of the day.

Next on the day in importance was the best of 9 set with Sam playing against Trav, Marty and Jesse/Ian/MTGod. TMJ was playing a might combination of Ness, Lucas and Game and Watch to fill buckets, heal teammates and take names. Sam was, of course, playing Toon Link to even the odds. The maps varied from Battlefield, to Spear Pillar, to a Duelist varient called 'YOU~FUCKED' finally ending on a massive counterpick by Trav and co. to change it to actual teams and remove team damage. An interesting counterpick, but it worked when two of them went Dedede and they went to Bridge of Eldin to finally seal the set 5-3.

A bit later in the night, we had a doubles Home Run Contest with Marteh and Andeh going double Ganondorf and smashing away at the sand bag. After a long, heartwrenching attempts, they finally got the sandbag to 280% and double Murder Fisted it, hitting it 1600m. However, the pair decided that wasn't good enough, and got the bag to 304%, hitting it 2010.9m to claim the home run contest record on Andre's Wii. A video of this will be posted if I can get around to bringing an SD card and putting the replay on it, and if I can, it'll be editted in here, so watch this space.

Next up was a set between me and Andre in a MK ditto. First we went on FD, and while I had a nice start, I eventually got two-stocked. Since I'm an emotional man, this angered me and caused me to not even get the nice start on the next game, after Andy gave away my counterpick, and so I ragequitted after getting killed and only doing 37% to Andre. I played another MK ditto later against him, though, this time he let me pick Port Town, and I won that game, but he showed his knowledge of Delphino and it played pretty much the same as the first game on FD: nice start, poor finish.

That's pretty much all the important matches I saw. If anyone else has anything important they want me to add, just tell me and I'll write about it here for all to see. And I really will try to get that replay of the 2009m hit.

So, now, shout-out time. This is my first one, since I dislike doing them on a forum, but I now have a nice place to put them, so yay.

Andre:
Props for hosting yet another great smashfest. Good thing your Wii survived the day, and I got some nice experience from the MK dittos.
Richard:
I didn't really talk to you much this time, since all your games were on the TV behind me, but I'm sure you played well. Hope to go with you guys to squat.
Samuel:
I can't believe you lost to Trav, Marty and Jesse! Sure, it was simultaneously, but still. Beyond godlike skills as usual.
Travis:
God I hate Game and Watch. I think that sums up the entirety of my games with you, really. On the social side, you're still a hilarity to talk to, and hopefully at the next tournament, to commentate with.
Marty:
I don't think I played against you in a 1v1 once, although the free-for-alls and 2v2s (and 3v1s) were great fun. And you didn't even take on the Chimera!
Jesse:
I also don't think I played against you 1v1, so same thing as above. Thanks for not attacking me while I charged the Chimera.
Alan:
I didn't even hear you leave, so you're more silent than I thought. Have you ever considered a career in special forces?
Trill:
Truly, you are the Destroyer of Wiis, empowered with the Triforce of Power for that explicit purpose. I didn't play against you, but I liked your stage picks in the Name Challenge.
Glenn:
Your Falcon isn't really up to par with mine, but I'm sure that could change. Nice chaingrabbing skills on IC, its the first time I've properly seen them in action.
Alex:
I didn't interact with you at all this time, so I have nothing to say here.

EDIT:

And to finish it off, a nice msn quote:

Jesse (Doctor Loxor) says:
Ike's like that one retarded kid in class that no one can really figure out why he's good at art

There you have it.

EDIT.2:
We have a new quote from Andre to go along with this:

Andre Maujean: Ike is like Ralph Wiggum.

No comments:

Post a Comment